Monday 21 July 2014

Art and Craft - An Important Tool In A Child's Learning

I was not good in art when I was schooling and I found art classes kind of intimidating. I envied those who could draw and paint very well but I did not really put much effort in improving my own skills in this area. Perhaps because I had the idea that it was a non-academic subject which was insignificant. How wrong was I!

Having realised that art and craft actually played an important part in helping a child to pick up various motor skills on top of instilling creativity and patience  (just to mention a few), I made it a point that it is the most important part of JS' learning. It is not only rewarding to see his motor skills gradually improving, but it has always been the activities that he enjoyed the most. By the end of the day, he would proudly show Daddy his work and expecting him to say, "Wow! You did this? Well done!"

In this post, I would like to share with you one of the few artworks that I enjoyed doing during my schooldays which is very simple to do yet its result is simply awesome. It is one of the many paint resistant arts. Here we used candles and poster colour. 

During these busy days when I have to divide my time between JS and JE, this activity seems to be a good choice as it can be done in less than 30 minutes. 

So, here was what we did. 

First, JS had to write his name with some candles on a drawing block. Since he could not really write yet, I held his hand and we wrote his name once with a red candle. Then he had to trace it again using all the rest of the coloured candles we had (we had seven colours altogether). 

Next he simply doodled at the top and bottom part of the drawing block and he was ready to paint over the drawings and see the amazing result. 




He chose prussian blue, which was his favourite colour. 



Look at the artwork. It was simply amazing, wasn't it?



No comments: