Monday 17 February 2014

Hearts on Valentine's Day


Although JS learnt to count from one to ten since he was two, I have overlooked the fact that he did not really understand the meaning of numbers. He is able to count the number of objects given to him but could not take the correct number of objects for me when asked to do so. 

This made me realised that I have to start giving him lots of counting activities. We started our first activity on the day before Valentine's Day. We counted legos and straws. He showed great interest in the activity so I came up with something more interesting for him on Valentine's Day. 

He loves to eat cake and put candles on them so I told him to make ten heart-shaped cakes with play dough and stick the correct number of candles on them as indicated. We used wooden sticks as candles as the heart-shaped cookie cutter is rather small. 

Here are some of the pictures taken during the activity.


JS rolling the dough.

JS cutting the dough with a cookie cutter.
JS arranging the numbers accordingly.
JS putting candles on the 'cakes'.
And of course, after that, we can play with the dough!



No comments: