Monday, 12 January 2015

Homeschooling While On Vacation 2 - JS' First Bus Ride

We are almost half a month into the year 2015 but I hope it is not too late to wish all my readers a blessed year ahead. I have to admit that I have been a little lazy to update my blog as I wanted to spend as much time as possible with my children, especially JS who will be turning five this June and thus, is attending school, full time since Monday. Now, JE gets full attention from Mommy in the mornings and we are doing lots of motor skills activities. 

Although JS will spend his weekday mornings in school, I am still planning to continue with our projects in the afternoons at least once or twice a week. As for now, we would be doing a lot of projects related to Chinese New Year since it is a big celebration here for the Chinese and one of the occasions that we celebrate. We did our first project recently but I will not share it here on this post because I would like to share with you another very memorable experience that JS had during our vacation in November last year. We went to Port Dickson, a small town by the beach, where JS' grandfather lives. 

JS taking picture at the Port Dickson Bus Terminal before taking his first ride

I have been a bit reluctant to share this  experience here mainly because the pictures were quiet bad but then the experience was a really great one for JS, so here it is, his first ride on a public bus. "The Wheels On The Bus" is one of the first songs JS learnt to sing but he had never been on one so I thought he would enjoy a short ride on an afternoon where we did not have much to do. 

The bus terminal happened to be just a minute's walk from his grandfather's place so it was no hassle getting there. 

We chatted with a lady who was also waiting for the same bus to find out whether the bus was coming soon. (There is only one bus per hour and it could be a long wait) We waited for about 15 minutes and when the bus arrived, JS got really excited and had to be reminded to queue up. After getting my ticket from the driver (it is a free ride for JS), we got ourselves the seats nearest to the centre exit. 

First, JS discovered the curtain blinds and started playing with it a bit. He loved the fact that he could have a better view from a bus which is higher compared to when he was in a car. 

I decided to take him to somewhere near and we ended up going to a small shopping mall a few kilometers away from the terminal. 

JS was happy to find an indoor playground there.

We spent around 30 minutes there before walking to the nearest bus stop to catch a bus home. However, it was quiet a long wait. JS' father called to find out where we were and offered to come to fetch us. At first, we were quiet persistent and said that we would wait for the bus but after waiting for another 20 minutes, we were still sitting at the bus stop, waiting for a bus so when Daddy called again, JS decided that Daddy should come. 

And so, although we did not do a round trip, it was nevertheless a priceless memory for a 4-year-old who has only travelled on cars all his life. 

No comments: